Current:Home > MyEthermac|World War II bunkers built by German army unearthed during nature restoration project in Belgium -Capitatum
Ethermac|World War II bunkers built by German army unearthed during nature restoration project in Belgium
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 23:32:55
Work on Ethermaca nature restoration project in Belgium unearthed multiple bunkers, trenches and other structures built there by the German army during World War II, officials announced this week.
The restoration work is being done at the Director-General Willemspark in Heist, Belgium, and focuses on restoring coastal dunes in a less than one square mile area by removing invasive plants, according to a news release from area officials.
Heist, also known as Heist-Aan-Zee, is in the northern Flanders region of Belgium. The area was the site of multiple battles during World War I. The violence there was immortalized in the poem "In Flanders Fields," and inspired the use of a red poppy as a memorial symbol for those who died in the war.
There were two German gun batteries built on the site during World War I. One was called Freya, the other Augusta. Both batteries held guns, observation bunkers, crew quarters and "all kinds of trenches and barriers," officials said. Most such structures were demolished after the war, officials said.
But in 1942, the park was again converted into a military stronghold by German soldiers. At the peak of the work, there were about 60 structures in the area, including ammunition bunkers and crew quarters that were meant to help repel an incursion from the sea.
"Anyone who grew up in Heist will not be surprised that remains of war were also found during the excavations," said Heist officials in a statement announcing the finds.
Several structures from the World War II stronghold were found preserved in the ground, including "three completely intact bunkers" covered under just a few inches of dirt. Each bunker had just one room, but were built with walls and a ceiling of reinforced concrete.
Officials also found two brick trenches, a fragment of concrete track that would have been used to ferry soldiers and supplies during the war, and a water well. During the excavations, workers also found "large mountains of rubble" that contained everyday objects like utensils, ammunition and more.
"These ruins aptly illustrate the previous frantic attempts to completely erase the park's war history," officials said in the news release. "The lighter structures were demolished and reduced to rubble, while heavier bunkers were covered with a layer of soil and hidden, as if they had never existed."
More war constructions are likely in the park, outside the scope of the restoration work, officials said. No World War I relics were found during the project.
Archaeologists from the nation's heritage agency were on site to supervise the restoration work, officials said, and as the finds were made, they "mapped everything." However, the remains were covered again with sand once they had been thoroughly investigated.
"No one disputes that war remains have a heritage value, but this does not mean that every brick from the war must necessarily be preserved," officials said. The sand will preserve the remains for the future, according to the news release.
- In:
- World War II
- Archaeologist
- Belgium
- World War I
Kerry Breen is a reporter and news editor at CBSNews.com. A graduate of New York University's Arthur L. Carter School of Journalism, she previously worked at NBC News' TODAY Digital. She covers current events, breaking news and issues including substance use.
TwitterveryGood! (67)
Related
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- J.Crew’s Epic Weekend Sale Can’t Be Missed – up to 60% off Select Styles, Starting at $8
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin expected to return to Pentagon Monday for first time since hospitalization
- The popularity of a far-right party produces counter-rallies across Germany
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- LeBron James outduels Steph Curry with triple-double as Lakers beat Warriors in double-OT
- 'As long as we're happy' Travis Kelce said he, Taylor Swift don't worry about outside noise
- Lionel Messi and Inter Miami are in Saudi Arabia to continue their around-the-world preseason tour
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Finns go to the polls to elect a new president at an unprecedented time for the NATO newcomer
Ranking
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- 2 masked assailants attach a church in Istanbul and kill 1 person
- Hold on to Your Bows! The Disney x Kate Spade Minnie Mouse Collection Is on Sale for up to 60% Off
- Man convicted of manslaughter in the killing of former New Orleans Saints star Will Smith
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Airstrike kills 3 Palestinians in southern Gaza as Israel presses on with its war against Hamas
- Biden offers fresh assurances he would shut down border ‘right now’ if Congress sends him a deal
- Police: Philadelphia officer shot after scuffle with person in store; 2nd officer kills suspect
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Lionel Messi and Inter Miami are in Saudi Arabia to continue their around-the-world preseason tour
Biden and Germany’s Scholz will meet in Washington as US and EU aid for Ukraine hangs in the balance
2 masked assailants attach a church in Istanbul and kill 1 person
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Live updates | UN court keeps genocide case against Israel alive as Gaza death toll surpasses 26,000
Kentucky parents charged with manslaughter after 3-year-old fatally shoots 2-year-old brother
Eileen Gu chooses ‘All of the Above’ when faced with choices involving skiing, Stanford and style